Victoria has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world. Owning a pet has loads of benefits - company, stress relief and unconditional love.
There are a few simple things to remember for pet owners:
- The holiday period is nearing, so it’s time to start considering who should be given the honourable job of looking after your fur baby. If the family/friend option falls through, search your neighbourhood on Pet Stays or download the Mad Paws – Pet Sitting Service app.
- Not only is registering your dog/cat a good way to keep them safe if they ever escape, it’s a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act.
- If your dog is over the age of three months you can register them online.
- Keep your dog safe during summer – make sure they have access to fresh drinking water on hot days and follow these tips to avoid snake encounters:
- If you are walking near bushland keep your dog on a lead and avoid long grassy areas.
- Do not let your pet examine dead snakes as they still have venomous fangs.
With the weather warming up, and the daylight lasting longer we know how nice it is for dog owners to get out with their pooch.
There are a few things though we would like you to keep in mind when taking your furry friend out and about.
A Council order made under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 prohibits dogs from being within 15 metres of any children’s playground, public barbeque, or exercise equipment area.
Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when in public space, other than designed off-leash parks. We have several off-leash parks and reserves in the area such as Aberfeldie Park, Fairbairn Park and Cross Keys Reserve (Eastern end only). Check out all the off-leash parks on the website.
If you do have your pooch in an off-leash park you must maintain control by:
- keeping a clear view of your dog
- returning to you upon immediate command
- having them on a chain, cord or leash
- cleaning up after your dog.
If you forget to bring a poo bag, we offer free bags in off and on-leash parks and reserves. A fine may be issued if you don’t clean up after your dog.